Tibet Overland Tour With Everest Base Camp
Lhasa to Kathmandu overland tour via Everest base camp offers all the best of Tibet like cultural tours of Lhasa, Gyantse and Shigatse, beautiful lakes , high passes and a visit to the Everest north base camp on Tibet side and the Rongbuk monastery.
This amazing overland trip through the central Tibet starts in Lhasa and ends in Nepal's capital Kathmandu.This is one of the best trip in Tibet which offers all the best the land has to offer.I t starts with a spectacular flight across the Himalaya from Kathmandu to Lhasa ( if you are entering Tibet from mainland, you do not take this flight) .In Lhasa we explore the heritage sites, important monasteries and old traditional quarter of the city .Some of these include the Potala palace , Jokhang temple , traditional Bharkhor market and Drepung and Sera monasteries. Leaving Lhasa in a 4WD jeep our overland Tibet tour passes through the beautiful turquoise lake Yamdrok Tso on way to Gyantse.
In Gyantse we visit the famous Gyantse fort and the Kumbum monastery and head for Shigatse where we see the famous Tashilhunpo monastery , the seat of the Panchen Lama. En route we pass through many high passes above 5000 m , visit the nomad camps and enjoy the unique beauty of vast Tibetan Plateau.We enjoy superb view of Everest , Cho oyu, Makalu and Shishapangma from Tingri and continue our journey towards the base camp of Everest North face .We visit the Rongbuk monastery and the base camp of Everest itself. Enjoying the awesome beauty of Mt Everest , we cross the Nepal Tibet border and drive to Kathmandu along lush forest and farm terraces, in contrast to the arid and dry Tibet.
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350 m), transfer to hotel
- Day 02: Chinese visa processing, afternoon guided tour of Kathmandu, evening briefing about Tibet tour
- Day 03: Fly from Kathmandu to Lhasa (3650m), rest and acclimatize the high altitude .
- Day 04: Guided sightseeing in Lhasa
- Day 05: Guided sightseeing tour in Lhasa
- Day 06: Drive to Gyantse (3950m) , drive 261 km
- Day 07: Sightseeing in Gyantse & drive to Shigatse (3900m) , drive 90 km
- Day 08: Sightseeing in Shigatse & drive to Xegar (4050m) , drive 244 km
- Day 09: Drive to Rongbuk Monastery (5000m) , drive 68 k m
- Day 10: Explore Everest base camp & drive to Tingri (4390m) , 65 km
- Day 11: Drive to Zhangmu (2300m) , drive 181 km
- Day 12: Drive Zhangmu to Kathmandu (1400m) , drive 123 km
- Day 13 Fly back home
Note: If you have time constraints , we can shorten this trip by one day making it to 12 days only.
An Alternative Itinerary
(Starting from Kathmandu and ending at Lhasa )
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu, transfer to hotel
- Day 02: China visa application / collection. Guided tour of Kathmandu including Kathmandu Durbar square, Swoyambhunath and Bouddhanath stupa.
- Day 03: Drive Kathmandu to Tibet border and transfer to Zangmu/ Nyalam. 3450 m
- Day 04: Zangmu to Tingri , 4350m, watch spectacular Himalayas en route.
- Day 05: Drive Tingri to Rongbuk , explore around
- Day 06: Visit Everest base camp 4920 m and drive Rongbuk to Lhatse 3950 m
- Day 07: Lhatse to shigatse 3900m
- Day 08: Guided tour of Shigatse, drive Shigatse to Gyantse. Tour of Gyantse . 3950 m
- Day 09: Gyantse to Lhasa
- Day 10: Guided tour in Lhasa
- Day 11: Second day of guided tour in Lhasa
- Day 12: Fly to onward destination from Lhasa.
Plese Contact us for the best price.
In order for us to quote you the price, write us with number of persons in your group, the category of hotels you would like to stay in. We would then get back to you with price and details of what is included and not included in the trip cost.
Important points to note.
If you enter Lhasa form Hong Kong or mainland China, you do not require to take the flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa. Also if you start this trip from Kathmandu but do not need /want to return to Kathmandu again, and want to travel onward to mainland China or Hong Kong, we can instead start the trip from kathamndu and end it in Lhasa. It is same as doing Lhasa – Kathmandu and is equally popular.
Besides, the flight between Kathmandu to Lhasa is often full during main tourist season, it could be that Lhasa kathamndu seats are available while Kathamndu to Lhasa seats are not available. We suggest taking Kathmandu to Lhasa route ( instead of the opposite ) in such cases too.
The visa days in Chinese embassy in Kathmandu is Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you have time constraints and do not want to lose the days waiting for visa in Kathmandu, make it such that you arrive Kathmadu either on Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday so that you will apply your China visa next day and fly/ drive to Lhasa the day after. Further, ask us and make sure there is no Chinese government holidays during these visa days.
Included in the price
- Arrival and departure transfers from/ to Kathmandu airport to the city
- China visa and permit arrangements in Kathmandu
- Guided tour in Kathmandu, all entry fees
- Three star hotels in Kathmandu on bed and breakfast plan, twin sharing rooms
- Arrival transfer from Lhasa airport to Lhasa city.
- Three star standard hotel in Lhasa/ Shigatse / Gyantse and best available hotels along the Lhasa Kathmandu highway . Rooms on twin sharing, bed and breakfast plan . Please note that Shegar, Rongbuk and Zangmu have only basic hotels and no luxury .
- Transportation by 4WD land cruiser, driver and gasoline charges included
- Sightseeing tours with English speaking local Tibetan guide
- All entry fees, Tibet travel permit/visa
- Everest region protection fee,Everest. region car entry fee, local mini bus between Rongbuk and Base Camp
NOT Included in the price
- Single supplement charges (compulsory if no one to share the room with)
- Kathmandu Lhasa airfare
- Airport tax, personal clothing & equipments,
- Nepal re entry visa fee (USD 25 and requires one photograph )
- Any unforeseen expenses like due to landslide, evacuation etc.
- Any additional tour services which are not mentioned above
- Porter if used near Nepal Tibet boarder, Tips for guide and driver
Nepal is best known for the world's highest mountains and beautiful trekking trails but we have a great variety of experiences to offer to the visitors .Kathmandu and the nearby towns of Patan and Bhaktapur are regarded as open museum of medieval arts and architecture , boasting a total of seven UNESCO world heritage sites.